[Python-Dev] updated exit.py and supporting files for your perusal

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:11:18 -0500 (CDT)

    Ping> Sorry to confuddle things, but what happened to the idea of
    Ping> sticking it in "sys"?  If sys.exitfunc lives there, doesn't
    Ping> sys.atexit(...) also make sense?  It can't be very hard to do...

I like the general idea that stuff implemented in C is just a thin interface
layer on top of existing system services and that higher level protocols are
implemented in Python where there's no overriding need for them to be
written in C.  This fits that model, at least to a first approximation.  The
sys.exitfunc variable functions pretty much like calling the atexit(3)
library call (though that's not how sys.exitfunc is implemented), and the
atexit module provides a protocol that dictates how that mechanism is used
in a cooperative setting.

There's almost certainly no performance reason this code should be
implemented in C.  It's going to be easier to maintain and enhance if
written in Python, and won't add size to the interpreter for those
programmers who don't use it (or don't use other modules that do).

--
Skip Montanaro, skip@mojam.com, http://www.mojam.com/, http://www.musi-cal.com/
On Phil Jackson's ability to manage multiple Lakers superstars, Shaquille