[Python-Dev] Sourceforge Interface Concerns

Tim Peters tpeters@beopen.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 03:28:26 -0400

[Andy Robinson]
> I find the web interface totally unusable from IE5 and Netscape 4.XX,
> working over 64k lines or dialup lines.  Once one logs in via SSL, only
> about one click in five ever returns a sensible page, and most
> just time out and give an error message.  Many other people on the
> reportlab-users list and my team report similar problems.   On the other
> hand, many are incredulous and say they have never had a problem.
> I found no complaints on the SF discussion groups, but as far as I can
> tell hardly anyone uses them.   It seems to be better over big corporate
> connections.  I don't think it is because I am in Europe; we never have
> trouble with our US ISPs.

I'm in the middle:  sometimes it works great, sometimes slow as molasses
(IE5 via 56K modem on the other side of the country), and an error each one
of two clicks.  Greg Stein lives near it, and reports wonderful access via
DSL.

> As a result of this, we have not used the wonderful looking bug tracking,
> to-do-list, patch manager etc.

They're actually pretty feeble.

> How many people here have actually created accounts for themselves on
> SourceForge and tried to do stuff when logged in - raise bugs and so on?
> Did it work for you?  We ought to get a few data points before making this
> the way Python is managed.

We're not using the bug tracker, task list, news, forum or support managers.
Just the CVS tree and the patch manager.  There are particular reasons for
using those particular two, and I doubt we'll be moving more there until SF
gets better.  OTOH, we're also interested in *helping* SF get better!  SF is
as much an Open Source project as Python, and it could become an incredible
resource for the entire OS community.

doesn't-mean-i-won't-gripe-too-though-ly y'rs  - tim