[Patches] Re: [Python-Dev] Let's use the SourceForge Patch Manager

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:41:48 -0500

[PP]
> I don't want to be paranoid, but are we putting any important
> information into SourceForge that we are not backing up elsewhere? I
> mean okay, we've all got CVS dumps, but if it went away (DOJ antitrust
> suit...) would we have backups of our patches, bugs, wish lists and so
> forth? I hope that's a criteria in deciding what services to move to
> SourceForge. I am in the business of preserving investments in data and
> of telling customers to avoid software that does not keep them in
> complete control of their data. SF makes me nervous that way....

Good point.

SF has a way to get a nightly snapshot of the CVS tree.  We should
suggest that they provide snapshots (in XML of course!) of the bugs
database too.

Note that I have no bandwidth left to communicate to SF folks so this
is up to the user community.  (I'm also very optimistic and trusting
in nature. :-)