[Python-Dev] OT: A Day in the Life of p5p

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:26:47 -0400

On 28 June 2000, Fredrik Lundh said:
> it would be very nice if the file object could do something similar
> internally (only in text mode, perhaps).  maybe in 1.7?

Oddly enough, I've been idly contemplating writing an extension type
(hypothetically called "superfile") that makes most of Perl's
file-handling semantics, and maybe some of the speedup, available in
Python.  At one level, it would be a rewrite of my 'text_file'
module/TextFile class in C.

But this is all speculation, mainly predicated on the theory that I
*really* should be eating my own dogfood and distributing some Python
extension, instead of just telling other people how to do it.  ;-)

        Greg