[Python-Dev] add Demo/imputil/importers.py ?

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:39:59 -0500

> There's already an IDLE distribution distinct from Python's:
>
>     http://www.python.org/idle/
>
> Note that the IDLE 0.5 there is not what was shipped with 1.5.2; I'm not
> clear on why that hasn't been updated to IDLE 0.6 already (suspect just lack
> of time).

Yes.

> > Hmm... I guess that I don't much have an opinion one way or the other, but
> > was mostly looking for clarification.
>
> I don't have a specific plan in mind either -- just "me too"ing on the idea
> that it would do no harm and possibly do real good to let these peripheral
> (to the core) things live on their own schedules.  I don't see any harm in
> including "the latest" snapshot of them with the core distribution,
> though -- it's handy for newcomers to get these things without needing to
> search for them.  I know I learned a lot about Python at the start from
> browsing these directories.

Additionally, it's great for Python on Windows to come with a working
GUI.  Pythonwin may be more like Windows, but it's much more fragile
than (recent versions of) IDLE in my experience.