[Python-Dev] Hey! who changed sys.platform?!

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:27:57 +0200

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

> Greg Ward writes:
>  > I just noticed that sys.platform in 1.6a2 (and the latest CVS from this
>  > morning) returns "linux2" on my PC, not "linux-i386".  As I recall this
>
>   I didn't know it ever returned linux-i386; perhaps you're thinking
> of Marc-Andre's platform module?

Python has returned 'linux2' on my machine ever since I moved
to a 2.x kernel -- why should it return 'linux-i386' (without
any indication of version) ?

As Fred mentioned, you should probably use platform.py to
access the information you have in mind. It supports loads
of different architectures and has pretty much all the
information you need for distutils warpped in nice APIs.

Why not simply include it in distutils ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg