[Python-Dev] Hey! who changed sys.platform?!

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:55:08 -0500

> > Regarding platform.py:
> >
> > M.-A. Lemburg writes:
> >  > Why not simply include it in distutils ?
> >
> >   Why not include it in the standard library?
> >   Guido?  I'll document it if Marc-Andre is willing to provide the
> > module and the regression test.
>
> No objection from here.
>
> I've attached my most recent copy to this mail. I'm not sure
> how to write the regr. test though since output is dependent
> on the platform running the functions... perhaps I'll just
> add something like the audio thingie: "This string ought
> to identify the platform you are currently running... if not,
> then something is wrong ;-)".

You didn't include it!

But I vote -1 on this one anyway -- it's too much code and almost by
its very nature not something that belongs in a "standard" library.
Plus, I don't want to be responsible for maintaining it.  Sorry,