[Python-Dev] Hey! who changed sys.platform?!

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:38:51 -0400 (EDT)

Greg Ward writes:
 > But, consider that that the Distutils might want to know if it should
 > generate RPMs or Debian packages... then the stuff about grokking which
 > Linux distribution it's running on is relevant.  Argh!

  Why would you need to figure this out?  Are you selecting a
platform-specific packaging system automatically?  In that case, I'd
search for the presence of the tools rather than asking what sort of
distribution you're running on -- several distros use RPM, a few use
.deb packages, etc.  When the user specifies one on the command line,
just use the one they name and be done with it.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member