[Python-Dev] Hey! who changed sys.platform?!

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:43:14 -0700

> But I vote -1 on this one anyway -- it's too much code and almost by
> its very nature not something that belongs in a "standard" library.
> Plus, I don't want to be responsible for maintaining it.  Sorry,

Not that I hope to override the heavy -1, but I don't agree with the second
point.  It embodies a huge amount of knowledge that is needed to write
portable code.  As such, IMO, it _does_ belong in the standard library.  How
is it different in its nature from sys.platform, which is only a much weaker
version of the same concept?

--david