[Python-Dev] Unicode mapping tables

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 01 Mar 2000 07:27:10 -0500

> Here's what I'll do:
>
> * implement .capitalize() in the traditional way for Unicode
>   objects (simply convert the first char to uppercase)
> * implement u.title() to mean the same as Java's toTitleCase()
> * don't implement s.title(): the reasoning here is that it would
>   confuse the user when she get's different return values for
>   the same string (titlecase chars usually live in higher Unicode
>   code ranges not reachable in Latin-1)

Huh?  For ASCII at least, titlecase seems to map to ASCII; in your
current implementation, only two Latin-1 characters (u'\265' and
u'\377', I have no easy way to show them in Latin-1) map outside the
Latin-1 range.

Anyway, I would suggest to add a title() call to 8-bit strings as
well; then we can do away with string.capwords(), which does something
similar but different, mostly by accident.