[Python-Dev] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib ConfigParser.py,1.16,1.17

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 21:10:28 -0500 (EST)

  MZ> On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
  >> Write a whole new module. ConfigParser is for files that look
  >> like the above.

  MZ> Gotcha.

  MZ> One problem: two configurations modules might cause the classic
  MZ> "which should I use?" confusion.

I don't think this is a hard decision to make.  ConfigParser is good
for simple config files that are going to be maintained by humans with

a text editor.

An XML-based configuration file is probably the right solution when
humans aren't going to maintain the config files by hand.  Perhaps XML
will eventually be the right solution in both cases, but only if XML
editors are widely available.

  >> <IMO> I find the above style much easier for *humans*, than an
  >> XML file, to specify options. XML is good for computers; not so
  >> good for humans.  </IMO>

  MZ> Of course: what human could delimit his text with <tag> and
  MZ> </tag>?

Could?  I'm sure there are more ways on Linux and Windows to mark up
text than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Moshe <wink>.  The
question is what is easiest to read and understand?

Jeremy