[Python-Dev] on the suitability of ideas tossed out to python-dev

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:40:02 -0600

Folks, let's not forget that python-dev is a place where oftentimes
half-baked ideas will get advanced.  I came up with an idea about decoupling
error handling from exception message strings.  I don't expect my idea to be
adopted as is.  Similarly, Barry's ideas about object timestamps were
admittedly conceived late at night in the thrill following an apparently
good gig. (I like the idea that every object has a modtime, but for other
reasons than Barry suggested.)

My feeling is that bad ideas will get winnowed out or drastically modified
quickly enough anyway.  Think of these early ideas as little more than
brainstorms.  A lot of times if I have an idea, I feel I need to put it down
on my virtual whiteboard quickly, because a) I often don't have a lot of
time to pursue stuff (do it now or it won't get done), b) because bad ideas
can be the catalyst for better ideas, and c) if I don't do it immediately,
I'll probably forget the idea altogether, thus missing the opportunity for
reason b altogether.

Try and collect a bunch of ideas before shooting any down and see what falls
out.  The best ideas will survive.  When people start proving things and
using fancy diagrams like "a <=> b -> C", then go ahead and get picky... ;-)

Have a relaxing, thought provoking weekend.  I'm going to go see a movie
this evening with my wife and youngest son, appropriately enough titled, "My
Dog Skip".  Enough Pythoneering for one day...

bow-wow-ly y'rs,

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/