[Python-Dev] Python 1.7 tokenization feature request

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:41:01 +0100

Greg:

> Understood.  I thought that handling standard entities might be a
> useful first step toward storage of Python as XML, which in turn would
> help make Python more accessible to people who don't want to switch
> editors just to program.  I felt that an all-or-nothing approach would =
be
> even less likely to get a favorable response than handling entities... =
:-)

well, I would find it easier to support a more aggressive
proposal:

    make sure Python 1.7 can deal with source code
    written in Unicode, using any supported encoding.

with that in place, you can plug in your favourite unicode
encoding via the Unicode framework.

</F>