[Python-Dev] Unicode patches checked in

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:40:21 +0100 (CET)

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Note that unicodedata is only needed by programs which do
> a lot of Unicode manipulations and in the future probably
> by some codecs too.

Perhaps it would make sense to move the Unicode database on the
Python side (write it in Python)? Or init the database dynamically
in the unicodedata module on import? It's quite big, so if it's
possible to avoid the static declaration (and if the unicodata module
is enabled by default), I'd vote for a dynamic initialization of the
database from reference (Python ?) file(s).

M-A, is something in this spirit doable?

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr