[Python-Dev] const data (was: Unicode patches checked in)

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:25:48 +0100

Vladimir Marangozov wrote:

> Greg Stein wrote:

> > Side note: the most effective way of exposing this const data up to Python
> > (without shoving it onto the heap) is through buffers created via:
> >    PyBuffer_FromMemory(ptr, size)
> > This allows the data to reside in const, shared memory while it is also
> > exposed up to Python.
>
> And to avoid the size increase of the Python library, perhaps unicodedata
> needs to be uncommented by default in Setup.in (for the release, not now).
> As M-A pointed out, the module isn't isn't necessary for the normal
> operation of the interpreter.

Sounds like a familiar idea. :-)

BTW., yesterday evening I wrote an analysis script, to see how
far this data is compactable without going into real compression,
just redundancy folding and byte/short indexing was used.
If I'm not wrong, this reduces the size of the database to less
than 25kb. That small amount of extra data would make the
uncommenting feature quite unimportant, except for the issue
of building tiny Pythons.

ciao - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>