[Python-Dev] Boolean type for Py3K?

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:06:13 -0600 (CST)

I wondered to myself today while reading through the Python
tutorial whether it would be a good idea to have a separate
boolean type in Py3K.  Would this help catch common mistakes?

I won't presume to truly understand the new-to-Python experience,
but one might *guess* that

    >>> 5 > 3
    true

would make a little more sense to a beginner than

    >>> 5 > 3
    1

Of course this means introducing "true" and "false" as keywords
(or built-in values like None -- perhaps they should be spelled
True and False?) and completely changing the way a lot of code
runs by introducing a bunch of type checking, so it may be too
radical a change, but --

And i don't know if it's already been discussed a lot, but --

I thought it wouldn't hurt just to raise the question.

-- ?!ng