[Python-Dev] None as a keyword / class methods

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:18:29 -0500

gvwilson@nevex.com wrote:

> [The following passed the Ping test, so I'm posting it here]
>
> If None becomes a keyword, I would like to ask whether it could be used to
> signal that a method is a class method, as opposed to an instance method:
>
> class Ping:
>
>     def __init__(self, arg):
>         ...as usual...
>
>     def method(self, arg):
>         ...no change...
>
>     def classMethod(None, arg):
>         ...equivalent of C++ 'static'...

(snip)

As a point of jargon, please lets call this thing a "static
method" (or an instance function, or something) rather than
a "class method".

The distinction between "class methods" and "static methods"
has been discussed at length in the types sig (over a year
ago). If this proposal goes forward and the name "class method"
is used, I'll have to argue strenuously, and I really don't want
to do that. :] So, if you can live with the term "static method",
you could save us alot of trouble by just saying "static method".

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.