[Python-Dev] Heads up: socket.connect() breakage ahead

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:03:54 -0500

Someone noticed that socket.connect() and a few related functions
(connect_ex() and bind()) take either a single (host, port) tuple or
two separate arguments, but that only the tuple is documented.

Similar to append(), I'd like to close this gap, and I've made the
necessary changes.  This will probably break lots of code.

Similar to append(), I'd like people to fix their code rather than
whine -- two-arg connect() has never been documented, although it's
found in much code (even the socket module test code :-( ).

Similar to append(), I may revert the change if it is shown to cause
too much pain during beta testing...