[Python-Dev] Heads up: socket.connect() breakage ahead

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:25:01 -0500

> bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us writes:
>  > I know, I was being purposefully dense for effect :)  Fred, is there
>  > some way to make the html contain a link to the previous section for
>  > the "see above" text?  That would solve the problem I think.

[Fred]
>   No.  I expect this to no longer be a problem when we push to
> SGML/XML, so I won't waste any time hacking around it.
>   On the other hand, lots of places in the documentation refer to
> "above" and "below" in the traditional sense used in paper documents,
> and that doesn't work well for hypertext, even in the strongly
> traditional book-derivation way the Python manuals are done.  As soon
> as it's not in the same HTML file, "above" and "below" break for a lot
> of people.  So it still should be adjusted at an appropriate time.

My approach to this: put more stuff on the same page!  I personally
favor putting an entire chapter on one page; even if you split the
top-level subsections this wouldn't have happened.