[Python-Dev] Unicode charnames impl.

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:45:20 -0500 (EST)

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>.encode() should translate Unicode to a string. Since the
>named char thing is probably only useful on input, I'd say:
>don't do anything, except maybe return input.encode('unicode-escape').

Wait... then you can't stack it on top of unicode-escape, because it
would already be Unicode escaped.

>> 4) What do you with the error \N{...... no closing right bracket.
>I'd suggest to take the upper bound of all Unicode name
>lengths as limit.

Seems like a hack.

>Note that .decode() must only return the decoded data.
>The "bytes read" integer was removed in order to make
>the Codec APIs compatible with the standard file object
>APIs.

Huh? Why does Misc/unicode.txt describe decode() as "Decodes the
object input and returns a tuple (output object, length consumed)"?
Or are you talking about a different .decode() method?

    "Ruby's dead?"
    "Yes."
    "Ah me. That's the trouble with mortals. They do that. Not to worry, eh?"
    -- Dream and Pharamond, in SANDMAN #46: "Brief Lives:6"