[Python-Dev] Great Renaming - Straw Man 0.2

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:32:33 +0200 (IST)

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> > "select", "signal" aren't UNIX specific.
> Huh?
> How not?
> Can you name a non-UNIX that is providing them?

Win32. Both of them. I've even used select there.

> and if you can, is it providing them for something other than "UNIX/POSIX
> compatibility"

I don't know what it provides them for, but I've *used* *select* on
*WinNT*. I don't see why Python should make me feel bad when I'm doing
that.

> > "getopt" is used for generic argument processing, so it isn't really UNIX
> > specific.
>
> It's a POSIX.2 function.
> I consider that UNIX.

Well, the argument style it processes is not unheard of in other OSes, and
it's nice to have command line apps that have a common ui. That's it!
"getopt" belongs in the ui package!

--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html