[Python-Dev] 1.6 job list

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:14:32 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I say "do it incrementally" while others say "do it all at once."
> > Personally, I don't think it is possible to do all at once. As a
> > corollary, if you can't do it all at once, but you *require* that it be
> > done all at once, then you have effectively deferred the problem. To put
> > it another way, Guido has already invented a reason to not do it: he just
> > requires that it be done all at once. Result: it won't be done.
>
> Bullshit, Greg.  (I don't normally like to use such strong words, but
> since you're being confrontational here...)

Fair enough, and point accepted. Sorry. I will say, tho, that you've taken
this slightly out of context. The next paragraph explicitly stated that I
don't believe you had this intent. I just felt that coming up with a
complete plan before doing anything would be prone to failure. You asked
to invent a new reason :-), so I said you had one already :-)

Confrontational? Yes, guilty as charged. I was a bit frustrated.

> I'm all for doing it incrementally -- but I want the plan for how to
> do it made up front.  That doesn't require all the details to be
> worked out -- but it requires a general idea about what kind of things
> we will have in the namespace and what kinds of names they get.  An
> organizing principle, if you like.  If we were to decide later that we
> go for a Java-like deep hierarchy, the network package would have to
> be moved around again -- what a waste.

All righty. So I think there is probably a single question that I have
here:

  Moshe posted a large breakdown of how things could be packaged. He and
  Ping traded a number of comments, and more will be coming as soon as
  people wake up :-)

  However, if you are only looking for a "general idea", then should
  python-dev'ers nit pick the individual modules, or just examine the
  general breakdown and hierarchy?

thx,
-g

--