[Python-Dev] Great Renaming? What is the goal?

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:55:35 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Ken Manheimer wrote:

> I also thought we had discussed providing
> transparency in general, at least of the 1.x series.  ?

Yes, but it would be clearly marked as deprecated in 1.7, print out
error messages in 1.8 and won't work at all in 3000. (That's my view on
the point, but I got the feeling this is where the wind is blowing).

So the transperancy mechanism is intended only to be "something backwards
compatible"...it's not supposed to be a reason why things are ugly (I
don't think they are, though).

BTW: the transperancy mechanism I suggested was not pushing things into
the import path, but rather having toplevel modules which "from import *"
from the modules that were moved.

E.g.,
re.py would contain

# Deprecated: don't import re, it won't work in future releases
from text.re import *

--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html