[Python-Dev] Heads up: socket.connect() breakage ahead

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:44:14 +0200

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> wrote:
> Similar to append(), I'd like to close this gap, and I've made the
> necessary changes.  This will probably break lots of code.
>=20
> Similar to append(), I'd like people to fix their code rather than
> whine -- two-arg connect() has never been documented, although it's
> found in much code (even the socket module test code :-( ).
>=20
> Similar to append(), I may revert the change if it is shown to cause
> too much pain during beta testing...

proposal: if anyone changes the API for a fundamental module, and
fails to update the standard library, the change is automatically "minus
one'd" for each major module that no longer works :-)

(in this case, that would be -5 or so...)

</F>