[Python-Dev] Unicode compile

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:14:55 +0200

Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> I don't know how much memory other people have in their machiens, but
> in this machine (128Mb), I get the following trying to compile a CVS
> checkout of Python:
>
> gcc  -g -O2 -I./../Include -I.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c ./unicodedatabase.c
> ./unicodedatabase.c:53482: virtual memory exhausted
>
> I hope that this is a temporary thing, or we ship the database some
> other manner, but I would argue that you should be able to compile
> Python on a machine with 32Mb of RAM at MOST.... for an idea of how
> much VM this machine has, i have 256Mb of SWAP on top of it.

I had similar effects, what made me work on a compressed database
(see older messages). Due to time limits, I will not get ready
before 1.6.a1 is out. And then quite a lot of other changes
will be necessary by Marc, since the API changes quite much.
But it will definately be a less than 20 KB module, proven.

ciao - chris(2)

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>