[Python-Dev] Distutils for the std. library (was: Expat module)

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:29:33 -0500

On 31 March 2000, Skip Montanaro said:
> With string methods in 1.6, reliance on the string and strop modules should
> be lessened or eliminated, right?  re and os may need a tweak or two to use
> string methods themselves. The sys module is always available.  Perhaps it
> would make sense to put sre(module)?.c into the Python directory where
> sysmodule.c lives.  That way, a Distutils-capable mini-python could be built
> without messing around in the Modules directory at all...

But I'm striving to maintain compatability with (at least) Python 1.5.2
in Distutils.  That need will fade with time, but it's not going to
disappear the moment Python 1.6 is released.  (Guess I'll have to find
somewhere else to play with string methods and extended call syntax).

        Greg