[Python-Dev] Python 1.6 alpha 1 released

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:30:42 -0500

I've just released a source tarball and a Windows installer for Python
1.6 alpha 1 to the Python website:

  http://www.python.org/1.6/

Probably the biggest news (if you hadn't heard the rumors) is Unicode
support.  More news on the above webpage.

Note: this is an alpha release.  Some of the code is very rough!
Please give it a try with your favorite Python application, but don't
trust it for production use yet.  I plan to release several more alpha
and beta releases over the next two months, culminating in an 1.6
final release around June first.

We need your help to make the final 1.6 release as robust as possible
-- please test this alpha release!!!