[Python-Dev] fun with unicode, part 1

Neil Hodgson nhodgson@bigpond.net.au
Tue, 2 May 2000 20:22:00 +1000

> ...but the system API translates from the active code page to the
> encoding used by the file system, right?

   Yes, although I think that wasn't the case with Win16 and there are still
some situations in which you have to deal with the differences. Copying a
file from the console on Windows 95 to a FAT volume appears to allow use of
the OEM character set with no conversion.

> if I create a file with a name containing latin-1 characters, on a
> FAT drive, it shows up correctly in the file browser (cp1252), and
> also shows up correctly in the MS-DOS window (under cp850).

   Do you have a FAT drive or a VFAT drive? If you format as FAT on 9x or NT
you will get a VFAT volume.

   Neil