[Python-Dev] Traceback style

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Tue, 2 May 2000 12:59:55 +0200 (MEST)

> > Ka-Ping Yee <ping@lfw.org>:
> > >
> > > With the suggested changes, this would print as
> > >
> > >     Traceback (innermost last):
> > >       Line 1 of <stdin>
> > >       Line 3 of <stdin>, in Spam.eggs
> > >     AttributeError: ham

> On Tue, 2 May 2000, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > IMHO, this is not a good idea.  Emacs users like me want traceback
> > labels to be *more* like C compiler error messages, not less.

Ka-Ping Yee :
[...]
> Besides, you Emacs guys have plenty of programmability anyway :)
> You would have to do a little parsing to get the file name and
> line number from the current format; it's no more work to get
> it from the suggested format.

I like pings proposed traceback output.

But beside existing Elisp code there might be other software relying
on a particular format.  As a long time vim user I have absolutely
no idea about other IDEs.  So before changing the default format this
should be carefully checked.

> (What i would really like, by the way, is to see the values of
> the function arguments on the stack -- but that's a lot of work
> to do in C, so implementing this with the help of repr.repr
> will probably be the first thing i do with sys.displaytb.)

I'm eagerly waiting to see this. ;-)

Regards, Peter