[XML-SIG] Re: [I18n-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Unicode debate

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 04 May 2000 08:40:35 -0400

> I think I hear a moderate consensus developing that the 'ASCII
> proposal' is a reasonable compromise given the time constraints.  But
> let's not fail to come back to this ASAP -- it _really_ narcs me that
> every time I load XML into my Python-based editor I'm going to convert
> large amounts of wide-string data into UTF-8 just so Tk can convert it
> back to wide-strings in order to display it!

Thanks -- but that's really Tcl's fault, since the only way to get
character data *into* Tcl (or out of it) is through the UTF-8
encoding.

And is your XML really stored on disk in its 16-bit format?