[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] PC\config.[hc] changes for Win64

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 9 May 2000 14:53:37 -0400 (EDT)

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > Another view: win32 was my way of saying the union of Windows 95,
 > Windows NT, and Windows 98, contrasted to Windows 3.1 and non-Windows
 > platforms.  If Windows 2000 is sufficiently different to the user, it
 > deserves a different platform id (win2000?).
 >
 > Is there a connection between Windows 2000 and _WIN64?

  Since no one else has responded, here's some stuff from MS on the
topic of Win64:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/platform/strategic/64bit.asp

This document talks only of the Itanium (IA64) processor, and doesn't
mention the Alpha at all.  I know the NT shipping on Alpha machines is
Win32, though the actual application code can be 64-bit (think "32-bit
Solaris on an Ultra"); just the system APIs are 32 bits.
  The last link on the page links to some more detailed technical
information on moving application code to Win64.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>