[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] PC\config.[hc] changes for Win64

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 09 May 2000 14:57:21 -0400

>   Since no one else has responded, here's some stuff from MS on the
> topic of Win64:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/platform/strategic/64bit.asp

Thanks, this makes more sense.  I guess that Trent's interest in Win64
has to do with an early shipment of Itaniums that ActiveState might
have received. :-)

The document confirms my feeling that WIN64 vs WIN32, unlike WIN32 vs
WIN16, is mostly a compiler issue, and not a user experience or OS
functionality issue.  The table lists increased limits, not new
software subsystems.

So I still think that sys.platform should be 'win32', to avoid
breaking existing apps.