[Python-Dev] Unicode and its partners...

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 15:43:37 +0200

It got a little silent around the 7-bit vs. 8-bit vs. UTF-8
discussion.

Not that I would like it to restart (I think everybody has
made their point), but it kind of surprised me that now with the
ability to actually set the default string encoding at run-time,
noone seems to have played around with it...

>>> import sys
>>> sys.set_string_encoding('unicode-escape')
>>> "abcäöü" + u"abc"
u'abc\344\366\374abc'
>>> "abcäöü\u1234" + u"abc"
u'abc\344\366\374\u1234abc'
>>> print "abcäöü\u1234" + u"abc"
abc\344\366\374\u1234abc

Any takers ?

BTW, has anyone tried to use the codec design for other
tasks than converting text ? It should also be usable for
e.g. compressing/decompressing or other data oriented
content.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg