[Python-Dev] Unicode

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 16 May 2000 15:36:42 -0500

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> I'd like to know whether you have an example of a real-world
> big-application problem that could not be conveniently implemented
> using the new Unicode API. For all the examples I can think where
> Unicode would matter (XML processing, CORBA wstring mapping,
> internationalized messages and GUIs), it would work just fine.

Of course an implicit behavior can never get in the way of
big-application building. The question is about principle of least
surprise, and simplicity of explanation and understanding.

 I'm-told-that-even-Perl-and-C++-can-be-used-for-big-apps -ly yrs

"Hardly anything more unwelcome can befall a scientific writer than
having the foundations of his edifice shaken after the work is
finished.  I have been placed in this position by a letter from
Mr. Bertrand Russell..."
 - Frege, Appendix of Basic Laws of Arithmetic (of Russell's Paradox)