[Python-Dev] Unicode

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 00:59:45 +0200

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> of course I can kludge my way around the flaws in MAL's design,
> but why should I have to do that? it's broken. fixing it is easy.

Look Fredrik, it's not *my* design. All this was discussed in
public and in several rounds late last year. If someone made
a mistake and "broke" anything, then we all did... I still
don't think so, but that's my personal opinion.

--

Now to get back to some non-flammable content:

Has anyone played around with the latest sys.set_string_encoding()
patches ? I would really like to know what you think.

The idea behind it is that you can define what the Unicode
implementaion is to expect as encoding when it sees an
8-bit string. The encoding is used for coercion, str(unicode)
and printing. It is currently *not* used for the "s"
parser marker and hash values (mainly due to internal issues).

See my patch comments for details.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg