[Python-Dev] String encoding

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 17:41:46 +0200

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> That's a different topic which I don't want to revive ;-)

in a way, you've already done that -- if you're setting the system encoding
in the site.py module, lots of people will end up with the encoding set to ISO
Latin 1 or it's windows superset.

one might of course the system encoding if the user actually calls setlocale,
but there's no way for python to trap calls to that function from a submodule
(e.g. readline), so it's easy to get out of sync.  hmm.

(on the other hand, I'd say it's far more likely that americans are among the
few who don't know how to set the locale, so defaulting to us ascii might be
best after all -- even if their computers really use iso-latin-1, we don't have
to cause unnecessary confusion...)

but I guess you're right: let's be politically correct and pretend that this really
is a completely different issue ;-)

</F>