[Python-Dev] importing .pyc-files generated by Python 1.5.2 in Python 1.6. Why not?

Fred L. Drake fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 23 May 2000 09:11:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
 > Peter Funk <pf@artcom-gmbh.de>:
 > >       (and this would also be "carrying owls to Athen" for Linux systems)
 > >     [I don't know whether this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ careless translated
 > >       german idiom makes any sense in english ;-) ]
 >
 > There is a precise equivalent: "carrying coals to Newcastle".

  That's interesting... I've never heard either, but I think I can guess
the meaning now.
  I agree; it looks like there's some work to do in getting the .pyc
loader to be a little more concerned about importing compatible marshal
formats.  I have an idea about how I'd like to see in done which may be a
little less magical.  I'll work up a patch later this week.
  I won't check in any changes for this until we've heard from Guido on
the matter, and he'll probably be unavailable for the next couple of days.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>