[Python-Dev] Proposal: .pyc file format change

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 29 May 2000 12:58:41 -0700 (PDT)

I don't think we should have a two-byte magic value. Especially where
those two bytes are printable, 7-bit ASCII.

"But it is four bytes," you say. Nope. It is two plus a couple parameters
that can now change over time.

To ensure uniqueness, I think a four-byte magic should stay.

I would recommend the approach of adding opcodes into the marshal format.
Specifically, 'V' followed by a single byte. That can only occur at the
beginning. If it is not present, then you know that you have an old
marshal value.

Cheers,
-g