Summary of .pyc-Discussion so far (was Re: [Python-Dev] Proposal: .pyc file format change)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 10:10:25 +0200

Peter Funk wrote:

> Greg Stein:
> > I don't think we should have a two-byte magic value. Especially where
> > those two bytes are printable, 7-bit ASCII.
> [...]
> > To ensure uniqueness, I think a four-byte magic should stay.
>
> Looking at /etc/magic I see many 16-bit magic numbers kept around
> from the good old days.  But you are right: Choosing a four-byte magic
> value would make the chance of a clash with some other file format
> much less likely.

Just for quotes: the current /etc/magic I have on my Linux
machine doesn't know anything about PYC or PYO files, so I
don't really see much of a problem here -- noone seems to
be interested in finding out the file type for these
files anyway ;-)

Also, I don't really get the 16-bit magic argument: we still
have a 32-bit magic number -- one with a 16-bit fixed value and
predefined ranges for the remaining 16 bits. This already is
much better than what we have now w/r to making file(1) work
on PYC files.

> > I would recommend the approach of adding opcodes into the marshal format.
> > Specifically, 'V' followed by a single byte. That can only occur at the
> > beginning. If it is not present, then you know that you have an old
> > marshal value.
>
> But this would not solve the problem with 8 byte versus 4 byte timestamps
> in the header on 64-bit OSes.  Trent Mick pointed this out.

The switch to 8 byte timestamps is only needed when the current
4 bytes can no longer hold the timestamp value. That will happen
in 2038...

Note that import.c writes the timestamp in 4 bytes until it
reaches an overflow situation.

> I think, the situation we have now, is very unsatisfactory:  I don't
> see a reasonable solution, which allows us to keep the length of the
> header before the marshal-block at a fixed length of 8 bytes together
> with a frozen 4 byte magic number.

Adding a version to the marshal format is a Good Thing --
independent of this discussion.

> Moving the version number into the marshal doesn't help to resolve
> this conflict.  So either you have to accept a new magic on 64 bit
> systems or you have to enlarge the header.

No you don't... please read the code: marshal only writes
8 bytes in case 4 bytes aren't enough to hold the value.

> To come up with a new proposal, the following questions should be answered:
>   1. Is there really too much code out there, which depends on
>      the hardcoded assumption, that the marshal part of a .pyc file
>      starts at byte 8?  I see no further evidence for or against this.
>      MAL pointed this out in
>      <http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-May/005756.html>

I have several references in my tool collection, the import
stuff uses it, old import hooks (remember ihooks ?) also do, etc.

>   2. If we decide to enlarge the header, do we really need a new
>      header field defining the length of the header ?
>      This was proposed by Christian Tismer in
>      <http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-May/005792.html>

In Py3K we can do this right (breaking things is allowed)...
and I agree with Christian that a proper file format needs
a header length field too. Basically, these values have to
be present, IMHO:

1. Magic
2. Version
3. Length of Header
4. (Header Attribute)*n
-- Start of Data ---

Header Attribute can be pretty much anything -- timestamps,
names of files or other entities, bit sizes, architecture
flags, optimization settings, etc.

>   3. The 'imp' module exposes somewhat the structure of an .pyc file
>      through the function 'get_magic()'.  I proposed changing the signature of
>      'imp.get_magic()' in an upward compatible way.  I also proposed
>      adding a new function 'imp.get_version()'.  What do you think about
>      this idea?

imp.get_magic() would have to return the proposed 32-bit value
('PY' + version byte + option byte).

I'd suggest adding additional functions which can read and write the
header given a PYCHeader object which would hold the
values version and options.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg