[Python-Dev] SIG: python-lang

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 31 May 2000 00:53:47 -0500

I think that we need a forum somewhere between comp.lang.python and
pythondev. Let's call it python-lang.

By virtue of being buried on the "sigs" page, python-lang would be
mostly only accessible to those who have more than a cursory interest in
Python. Furthermore, you would have to go through a simple
administration procedure to join, as you do with any mailman list.

Appropriate topics of python-lang would be new ideas about language
features. Participants would be expected and encouraged to use archives
and FAQs to avoid repetitive topics. Particular verboten would be
"ritual topics": indentation, case sensitivity, integer division,
language comparisions, etc. These discussions would be redirected loudly
and firmly to comp.lang.python.

Python-dev would remain invitation only but it would focus on the day to
day mechanics of getting new versions of Python out the door.

"Hardly anything more unwelcome can befall a scientific writer than
having the foundations of his edifice shaken after the work is
finished.  I have been placed in this position by a letter from
Mr. Bertrand Russell..."
 - Frege, Appendix of Basic Laws of Arithmetic (of Russell's Paradox)