[Python-Dev] SIG: python-lang

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 31 May 2000 11:35:23 -0500

Greg Stein wrote:

> [ The correct forum is probably meta-sig. ]
>
> IMO, I don't see a need for yet another forum. The dividing lines become a
> bit too blurry, and it will result in questions like "where do I post
> this?" Or "what is the difference between python-lang@python.org and
> python-list@python.org?"

Well, you admit that yhou don't read python-list, right? Most of us
don't, most of the time. Instead we have important discussions about the
language's future on python-dev, where most of the Python community
cannot participate. I'll say it flat out: I'm uncomfortable with that. I
did not include meta-sig because (or python-list) because my issue is
really with the accidental elitism of the python-dev setup. If
python-dev participants do not agree to have important linguistic
discussions in an open forum then setting up the forum is a waste of
time. That's why I'm feeling people here out first.
"I want to give beauty pageants the respectability they deserve."
            - Brooke Ross, Miss Canada International