[Python-Dev] statically nested scopes

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 00:46:04 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> [Tim Peters]
> > Note that this problem will be much worse in Python:  in Pascal, you could
> > always "look up" for the closest-containing func/proc that explicitly
> > declares a referenced vrbl.  In Python, you have to indirectly *deduce*
> > which vrbls are local to a def, by searching the entire body for an
> > appearance as a binding target.  So you have to "look up" and "look down"
> > from the reference point, and it's easy to miss a binding target.
>
> This is a tool problem, and should be solved with good tools.
> Of course, installing the corret tools in people's minds will require
> some technological discoveries.

Bleck. Those tools are a crutch to deal with a poor language design /
feature. And are those tools portable? Are they part of everybody's
standard tool set? Will vi, emacs, and MS DevStudio all have those
capabilities?

Not a chance. Personally, I'll take Guido's point of view and say they are
inherently hard to deal with; therefore, punt them.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/