[Python-Dev] statically nested scopes

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:18:47 -0500 (EST)

  GS> On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Moshe Zadka wrote:
  >> This is a tool problem, and should be solved with good tools.  Of
  >> course, installing the corret tools in people's minds will
  >> require some technological discoveries.

  GS> Bleck. Those tools are a crutch to deal with a poor language
  GS> design / feature. And are those tools portable? Are they part of
  GS> everybody's standard tool set? Will vi, emacs, and MS DevStudio
  GS> all have those capabilities?

Are you saying that compilers are a crutch and we should get rid of
them?  I don't think you intend that, but this is a completely
straightforward tool to build.  It is needed only for backwards
compatibility -- to identify scripts that depend on the changed
behavior.  There is no need for vi, emacs, or devstudio to understand
what's going on.

Jeremy