[Python-Dev] Re: Dynamic nested scopes

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:56:56 -0500

> >     Guido> If this is deemed a useful feature (for open()), we can make a
> >     Guido> rule about which built-ins you cannot override like this and
> >     Guido> which ones you can.

I think I would be satisfied with just those builtins which involve
interfaces to the external world. Where Java allows such
deviance, they tend to provide an API whereby you can supply
or register a factory to override or extend the default behavior.

In principle this seems less hackish than stomping on builtins;
in practice I doubt it makes much difference ;-).

> [Skip]
> > I thought we were all adults...

Snort. One of my kids will be voting on Tuesday, but I *still*
don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

- Gordon