[Python-Dev] Gathering Python 2.1 goals and non-goals

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 04 Nov 2000 10:50:10 +0100

David Ascher wrote:

> >  S   207  pep-0207.txt  Rich Comparisons                       Ascher
> >  S   208  pep-0208.txt  Reworking the Coercion Model           Ascher
>
> > Two of these (207, 208) haven't been written yet -- but I know roughly
> > what they will contain, so they are included in this list, and not in
> > the lists of vaporware PEPs later in PEP 0 (Incomplete and Empty
> > PEPs).  These may be reconsidered for Python 2.1 if their authors care
> > to follow the PEP guidelines.
>
> I would _love_ to find someone to take over PEP ownership of these.  I
> feel terrible that I haven't been able to find the time to do those right
> (although I only feel moral ownership of 207, not 208, where others have
> much more in-depth knowledge).
>
> If someone wants to take over, please speak up and grab them.  I'll try to
> find the time to share the information I have, would gladly give the very
> early and now obsolete patches I wrote up.

I can take over the coercion PEP: I've been working
on this before (see the proposal on my Python Pages).

I would also like to know whether the PEP-0224 will be considered
for 2.1 if I update the patch to make it a little more robust
w/r to the problems mentioned in that PEP -- I'd really like
to see this in Python soon, since it makes documenting Python
programs so much easier.

Note that I won't get around to do much work on these before
January... way too busy at the moment :-/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg