[Python-Dev] Revamping Python's Numeric Model

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 15:46:00 +0100

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 03:08:43PM +0100, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> And the parser would have to be fixed (either rewritten into at least an
> LL(2) parser, or the metagrammar hacked so that 'NUMBER' doesn't eat the .
> after a number if it isn't followed by another number or whitespace.) (At
> least IMHO, this isn't an insurmountable problem, or even a medium-sized
> problem. It was just never necessary to fix it.)

Actually, no, it isn't easily fixable, if at all. The problem is mostly the
scientific notation:

1.e5

Even if it was parsed properly, it is definately going to confuse people.
They wouldn't be able to say, for instance,

1.e()

;P

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>