[Python-Dev] Revamping Python's Numeric Model

Moshe Zadka py-dev@zadka.site.co.il
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 02:57:12 +0200

> Hmm, I like almost everything about your proposal.  The above point
> bothers me slightly.  Are you saying (1.0).isexact() == 0?

Yes. 1.0 is not an exact number. What's wrong with that?
(Consider stuff like 0.333333333*3: this shouldn't be exact!)

> Also, how about long integers?  Will they, under your new proposal, be
> indistinguisable from regular ints?

Yes.

> While this has some appeal to it
> it would be problematic for C extension modules.

I haven't mentioned anything about implementation, so I haven't dealt
with the C level at all. Currently, a Python-level API is under
consideration. I believe I can keep current day C API almost unchanged.

> Finally, although I'm no Schemer, the hierarchy you suggest sounds
> very Schemish to me

I shamelessly stole it from Scheme, with only minor changes -- most
of them about hardening some things Scheme left for implementations
to decide.
--
Moshe Zadka <sig@zadka.site.co.il>