[Python-Dev] Re: Revamping Python's Numeric Model

Sun, 5 Nov 2000 11:24:47 +0100

> Well, of course they are rational numbers. The only question is whether 1.0
> should be inexact or exact. While that is not specified in the PEP (which
> was meant for Barry to assign me a PEP number primarily...), I think
> the principle of least suprise would be to treat 1.0 as inexact.

To long-term Python users, that would be the least surprise.

To new users, the entire notion of inexact numbers is surprising; more
so that something as simple as 1.0 is inexact.

To computer numerics fanatics, it is surprising that 1.0 is inexact,
since the common representations of floating point numbers are well
capable of representing it exactly.

Regards,
Martin