[Python-Dev] Integer division transition

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Tue, 07 Nov 2000 09:29:10 -0800

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

>   A tool to help them out wouldn't hurt, either, and that could be
> written before any actual changes are made or even final decisions are
> made -- it could search everything on sys.path and report on uses that
> would be affected by each candidate change.

I think that the standard Python compiler is the appropriate tool for
this sort of thing. Anything that can be caught "statically" might as
well be implemented right in the compiler (at least from the user's
point of view) rather than in a separate "deprecation nanny."

 Paul Prescod