[Python-Dev] uthread strawman

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 16:18:10 +1300 (NZDT)

Guido:

> I take it that you don't see the point of stackless then?

I have mixed feelings about it. I really like the idea of
uthreads, but I get the impression that Stackless as it
stands is only a partial implementation of the idea, with
no easy way in sight to evolve it into a full implementation.

> Maybe this is not an application that could use uthreads.

The point is that the user can be mixing Python and C stack
frames without even realising it. I was just giving one example
of how that can come about.

Saying "don't do that" isn't very helpful when "that" is
something which poeple often do quite unconsciously.

So, while I'd love to see uthreads as a core Python feature
one day, I think I'm in agreement with you that Stackless
isn't yet ready to be made into the standard Python
implementation.